CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 16, 2008

The City is Mine

I just recently moved into an apartment in Brooklyn, and while it is in a neighborhood that I've been living in intermittently during summer breaks from Wesleyan and crashing at my sister's place (who bt dubs, now lives down the street), I'm realizing what a far cry adult city life is from youth in the 'burbs, and college in Middletown, CT.

Thinking about this city move, and spending hours on the train, unearthing crazy lost tunes on my ipod, has led me to re-encounter this gem from late 1998...



Its a single off of Jay-Z's second album, In My Lifetime, Vol. 1, entitled "THE CITY IS MINE." Basically, it's Jay bigging himself up, with the choral contribution from one of my favorite brown boy (man?) groups, Blackstreet. Remember Teddy Riley? Anywho, the song uses elements of "You Belong to the City" by Glenn Frey to get its point across. That, and the little simultaneous and coordinated hand choreography by the group. I'm not sure that this song got a whole lot of airplay, in fact i'm sure it didn't (it's not exactly the prime example of hip hop), but it always holds a spot in my heart, for its catchiness, and for the memories of riding in the yellow cheese bus and all the junior high whack stars singing along...

also. check out the cameo by Michael Rapaport. he loves playing cops. and the only thing he loves more than playing cops, are people of color.

0 comments: